The CFA Exam dates and deadline pretty much the same every year: exam is scheduled every June for all levels, and every December for Level I only.
The June exam is normally held on the first Saturday of the month. As you can see, the CFA exam opens its registration a year before, and early bird closes 9 months before the exam date.
June 2017 CFA Exam Dates
|27 July||Registration opens||—||1|
|21 September||CFA early registration deadline||$650||2|
|January 2017||Mock exams available||—||3|
|15 February||Regular registration deadline||$930||4|
|1 February||Awareness scholarship application deadline|
|15 March||Late registration deadline||$1,380||5|
|18 April||Test center change request deadline||—||6|
|May||Exam admission tickets become available||—||7|
|3 June||Exam day||—||8|
|July||Level 1 and 2 results release||—||9|
Note on CFA Registration Deadline
1) 12 July, 2016: Opens for Registration
- Applications may register for the exam as early as 12 months before the exam.
- You can choose to take the sample exam upon registration. This is optional and it will cost US$40 for two sets of exams.
2) 21 September, 2016: CFA Early Registration Deadline
- First deadline for registration
- CFA program applicants are required to pay a one-time enrollment fee as well as the exam registration fee. Level I retakers and Level II/III takers only need to pay the exam fee.
- If you register and pay by this date, you get an early bird discount (save US$280 from regular registration).
- Please click here to see how much the CFA title will cost you.
3) January 2017: Mock Exam Available
- Unlike the sample exam, mock exam is available for free for each registrant. Please click here for more details.
4) 15 February, 2017: Regular CFA Registration Deadline
- The fee is $280 higher than early registration, but still $450 lower than the last deadline in March.
5) 15 March, 2017: Late CFA Registration Deadline
- Last chance to apply for the CFA exam for this window.
6) 18 April, 2017: Deadline for Test Center Change Request
- You can log in to make the changes online before this date.
7) May 2017: Admission Ticket Available
- The ticket is available online only.
- Please remember to print a copy of this ticket on clean, unused paper and bring it on the exam day.
- If you do not have online access you can request for a fax copy.
8) 3 June, 2017: Exam Day
- Effective December 2012, the exam will only be held on Saturday instead of both Saturday and Sunday as in previous years.
9) Jun – August 2017: Grading and Results
- Grading is done in June and July
- Results are available in late July for Level 1 and 2, and a month later in August for Level 3.
- You can learn about the historical pass rates here.
Frequently Asked Questions from Readers
1. What is the CFA Level 1 exam date?
The CFA level 1 exam is held on the first Saturday in June and December. In other words, you have two chances to take this level each year.
2. How about the CFA Level 2 and 3 exam date?
It’s the same as the CFA level 1 exam date in June. You can only take Level 2 and 3 once a year.
Summary in Video Format
December 2017 CFA Exam Dates
The exact schedule is not out yet, but based on historical data, this is the expected time table:
|25 January||Opens for registration|
|15 March||First deadline: must register by this date|
|15 August||Mock exams available|
|16 August||Second deadline: must pay fee by this date|
|1 September||Deadline for exam awareness scholarship application|
|13 September||Final deadline to register for the exam|
|9 October||Deadline for test center change request|
|November||Exam admission ticket becomes available|
|2 December||Exam day|
|Dec to Jan 2018||Exams graded|
|Late January 2018||Exam results become available|
What’s Special about taking the exam in December?
There are a few points to consider. For example, do you have enough time to study for Level 2 next June? You won’t know the Dec exam results until late January.
More discussion on taking the CFA December exam here.
For Your Further Reading
- How to become a CFA
- Frequently asked questions on CFA exam
- CFA Institute information on schedules and fees