The CFA Exam dates and deadline pretty much the same every year: exam is scheduled every June for all levels, and every December for Level I only.
The June exam is normally held on the first Saturday of the month. As you can see, the CFA exam opens its registration a year before, and early bird closes 9 months before the exam date.
June 2017 CFA Exam Dates
|27 July||Registration opens||—||1|
|21 September||CFA early registration deadline||$650||2|
|January 2017||Mock exams available||—||3|
|15 February||Regular registration deadline||$930||4|
|1 February||Awareness scholarship application deadline|
|15 March||Late registration deadline||$1,380||5|
|18 April||Test center change request deadline||—||6|
|May||Exam admission tickets become available||—||7|
|3 June||Exam day||—||8|
|July||Level 1 and 2 results release||—||9|
Note on CFA Registration Deadline
1) 12 July, 2016: Opens for Registration
- Applications may register for the exam as early as 12 months before the exam.
- You can choose to take the sample exam upon registration. This is optional and it will cost US$40 for two sets of exams.
2) 21 September, 2016: CFA Early Registration Deadline
- First deadline for registration
- CFA program applicants are required to pay a one-time enrollment fee as well as the exam registration fee. Level I retakers and Level II/III takers only need to pay the exam fee.
- If you register and pay by this date, you get an early bird discount (save US$280 from regular registration).
- Please click here to see how much the CFA title will cost you.
3) January 2017: Mock Exam Available
- Unlike the sample exam, mock exam is available for free for each registrant. Please click here for more details.
4) 15 February, 2017: Regular CFA Registration Deadline
- The fee is $280 higher than early registration, but still $450 lower than the last deadline in March.
5) 15 March, 2017: Late CFA Registration Deadline
- Last chance to apply for the CFA exam for this window.
6) 18 April, 2017: Deadline for Test Center Change Request
- You can log in to make the changes online before this date.
7) May 2017: Admission Ticket Available
- The ticket is available online only.
- Please remember to print a copy of this ticket on clean, unused paper and bring it on the exam day.
- If you do not have online access you can request for a fax copy.
8) 3 June, 2017: Exam Day
- Effective December 2012, the exam will only be held on Saturday instead of both Saturday and Sunday as in previous years.
9) Jun – August 2017: Grading and Results
- Grading is done in June and July
- Results are available in late July for Level 1 and 2, and a month later in August for Level 3.
- You can learn about the historical pass rates here.
Frequently Asked Questions from Readers
1. What is the CFA Level 1 exam date?
The CFA level 1 exam is held on the first Saturday in June and December. In other words, you have two chances to take this level each year.
2. How about the CFA Level 2 and 3 exam date?
It’s the same as the CFA level 1 exam date in June. You can only take Level 2 and 3 once a year.
Summary in Video Format
December 2017 CFA Exam Dates
The exact schedule is not out yet, but based on historical data, this is the expected time table:
|25 January||Opens for registration|
|15 March||First deadline: must register by this date|
|15 August||Mock exams available|
|16 August||Second deadline: must pay fee by this date|
|1 September||Deadline for exam awareness scholarship application|
|13 September||Final deadline to register for the exam|
|9 October||Deadline for test center change request|
|November||Exam admission ticket becomes available|
|2 December||Exam day|
|Dec to Jan 2018||Exams graded|
|Late January 2018||Exam results become available|
What’s Special about taking the exam in December?
There are a few points to consider. For example, do you have enough time to study for Level 2 next June? You won’t know the Dec exam results until late January.
More discussion on taking the CFA December exam here.
For Your Further Reading
- How to become a CFA
- Frequently asked questions on CFA exam
- CFA Institute information on schedules and fees
Can We be More Helpful?
To learn about how to study and pass the CFA exam in the most efficient manner, check out our e-course for CFA Level 1, which is completely free. You can learn about the e-course here or sign up directly below.
Join us if you want to get tips on how to plan,
study and pass your CFA exam… on your first attempt!